I stumbled upon this terrible article this morning about a couple who beat their adopted child to death. They were following the techniques and lessons from the book “To Train Up a Child” by Michael and Debi Pearl. First off, what the heck is WRONG with these two?! Secondly, just skimming through some of their so-called “parenting techniques” is enough to make me want to throw up. I cannot understand why ANYONE would want to implement or even entertain the idea or inflict such torment onto their child. My son ( expected in 4 months) will NEVER be subject to such abuse! This poor child, mentioned in the article, was found face down in the backyard, beaten and malnourished! How can a parent think that is right?!
Here are some of the Pearl’s RIDICULOUS and purely ABSURD “parenting techniques”:
- Using plastic tubing to beat children, since it hurts a lot but leaves fewer marks to alert authorities
- Wearing the plastic tubing around the parent’s neck as a constant reminder to obey
- “Swatting” babies as young as six months old with instruments such as “a 12-inch willowy branch,” thinner plastic tubing or a wooden spoon
- “Blanket training” babies by hitting them with an instrument if they try to crawl off a blanket on the floor
- Beating older children with rulers, paddles, belts and larger tree branches
- “Training” children with pain before they even disobey, in order to teach total obedience
- Giving cold water baths, putting children outside in cold weather and withholding meals as discipline
- Hosing off children who have potty training accidents
- Inflicting punishment until a child is “without breath to complain.”
When skimming through these “techniques” I am just heartbroken for what this little girl went through. I understand raising a child can be hard, but there should never be this sort of pain inflicted on a child..EVER!
Lets try these “parenting techniques” on the Pearls and see how they enjoy it.
Here is the link to the article if you dare want to read more: