20 Things I want my Son to know
By: Danielle Jones
My son may only be 13 months old, but at the rate he is growing, he will be grown before I know what hit me. My hope for my son is that he never grows weary of being fearless and adventurous. I pray that he grows to have a spiritual connection with God, grows to be a great husband and father and never loses sight of what’s important in life. I wish is that he will travel the world and love with a passion that ignites a fury within him.
With all of that being said, here it goes….
- You have my heart. I never thought that I could love anyone as much as your father, but as soon as I held you in my arms I knew that my life was forever changed. There were now two amazing men in my life, and the amount of love I have for the two of you is unwavering, powerful and so organic.
- Stop pulling on your penis-it’s not going anywhere. You will learn that it’s not going anywhere the older you get, but as a reminder if you want to play with it, do it in private.
- I will accept you no matter who you love. I promise to love you and support you in whoever you love. I will offer insight and opinions if I deem it necessary, but will only do so out of love for my son.
- Don’t put things in your nose. Whether it’s your finger, food or a toy—they don’t belong in your nose. Don’t pick your nose. That’s a really nasty habit.
- Don’t ever stop creating. Buy paper and paint. Color in a coloring book. Don’t be afraid to get a little dirty.
- Don’t grow up too fast. These days parents encourage their children to perform better, compete harder, do more, be faster and be the best. Don’t grow up too quickly, as it takes time summoning you inner genius.
- Get outside. Get Dirty. Explore. Instead of spending hours of time playing video or iPhone games, you should focus on spending as much time outside as possible. Build a tree fort, explore new areas and enjoy the beauty of what Mother Nature has to offer us.
- Be accepting of others. Don’t ever judge someone before you have taken the time to get to know them. You never know what they’re going through.
- Don’t let a set-back get you down or discourage you from being great. Life will throw curve-balls and don’t be afraid to take those head on. You are so much stronger than you think.
- It’s ok to cry. Don’t let anyone try to tell you that crying is a sign of weakness.
- Be proud of who you are. You are who you are because of the decisions you have made. You’re a beautiful person who is destined for greatness. The more you believe that, the more you will see great things happen to you. Remember: I will always be proud of you.
- Respect women. Women don’t want to get receive pictures of you flexing or pictures of your penis. Send them flowers or sweet text messages. The more you respect women, the more they will respect you.
- Always keep learning. Read a new book once a month. Don’t ever think that you have learned it all. There is always something new you could be learning.
- Be a world traveler. I will encourage you to travel, but I will ask that you are a safe traveler. Take into consideration the events in every area that you wish to explore. This is only for your safety.
- Find your passion. Do what makes you happy, and never settle for anything less than wonderful. Life is short, so live it like you have nothing to lose.
- Be respectful of the Earth. We only have one Earth, so please be part of the solution, not the problem. If you see liter, pick it up. Recycle and reuse.
- Be my little boy forever. I know that one day you are going to fall in love and possibly have a family of your own, but all I want to know is that I’m still important in your life. Don’t forget your mom (or dad).
- Don’t be scared to take the road less traveled. Don’t be ordinary, be extraordinary! Don’t try to fit in. Be unique and don’t worry what others say about you.
- No matter what happens in life, you can always come home. I’ll be there with open arms. I’m your mother, and I will always be there for you.
- Don’t forget how much I love you. You will always be my little boy.