Most parents steer clear of sensory boxes for the obvious reason of their children creating catastrophic messes once they’re made, but this one was well worth the potential mess.
Today, I want to share with you how to put together a rainbow sensory box for your child. This activity engages nearly every sense–obviously tasting isn’t one which we recommend. All sensory boxes typically revolve around touch and sound, but this particular sensory box also has vibrant colors and a unique small to activate those other sense.
Be prepared for some freedom as this sensory box will sure to entertain your children for an hour or two!
- 15 pounds of rice
- white vinegar
- food coloring
- large plastic bags
- 1 large container (make sure it’s deep and wide) and a lid to hold the rice
We chose to make red, yellow, blue, purple and green rice.
- Fill each bag with 2 1/2-3 cups of rice
- Pour 2 tablespoons of food coloring into each bag for desired colors
- Seal the bag, mix and shake until the food coloring is evenly distributed
- Open the bags and let sit out overnight to air out overnight. This will reduce the smell from the strong smell of vinegar to subtle
- Pour the rice into the large container
*Keep in mind the rice will get mixed together over time, so this sensory box won’t be ideal for those OCD people who prefer their colors to stay separate 🙂
Make sure to include lots of fun tools for scooping and pouring of the rice. When your kids are done playing with the sensory box, make sure to put the lid on to seal it.