If your child is anything like mine, being stuck in-doors on a Saturday when it’s 27 degrees out, is not their idea of fun. But, with the frigid cold and a fresh blanket of snow covering the ground, I think it’s best to keep an already sick little one indoors. That said, our Saturday will still be an adventure for this morning we decided to make homemade playdough. It was fun and super easy!
- 2 cups of flour
- 2 tbsp of oil (we recommend coconut oil, vegetable oil or even olive oil)
- 1/2 cup of salt
- 2 tbsp cream of tartar
- 1 1/2 cup boiling water
- Pour 2 cups of flour into a bowl
- Mix in 1/2 cup of salt
- Mix in 2 tbsp of Tartar
- Add in 2 tbsp of desired oil- I used vegetable oil
- Pour in the boiling water, but be careful, this will make the dough very hot
- After the dough has cooled, separate the dough into equal parts and roll them into balls
- Poke a hole in the middle of one of the rolled balls and pour your desired color into the hole
- Knead the dough until the dye is thoroughly mixed.
Now it’s time to let your child enjoy the playdough. Make sure to have some fun playdough gizmos and gadgets for your child to use when playing.
Don’t be afraid of having your child help prepare the playdough. My son loves to help out whenever a craft is being made.
For storage, simply put the playdough into a Tupperware container to prevent it from hardening.