I grew up loving to read, so it was only natural that I prayed that my future child would also share the same passion as I. Along with the fact that I, myself, enjoy reading, I love reading to my son. As parents, we become pros at disguising our voices to match the characters in their favorite books. Our child sits there completely transfixed and they hold on to every single word until the book is finished.
There are several reasons why reading to your children is good for them. Here are a few reasons it’s encouraged that you spend time with your child each day with a book in hand.
- Quality Time: As your child gets older, they’re going to be active and on the move. Take time to slow down with your little one and enjoy a story or two.
- Set your child up for Academic Excellence: Several studies show that by reading regularly to your child, it them helps them learn words and sentences easier and better prepares them for when they start school.
- Speech Skills: Reading to your child helps their speech. It’s helpful to hear you read so they can learn the way you sound words out. This greatly improves their speech.
- Better Communication Skills: As you read to your child, your child learns to associate words and expressions to better communicate. They’re able to witness the interaction between characters and are learning valuable communication skills along the way!
- Adventure: Reading different books gives your child a sense for adventure. Along with the characters, your child goes along on the adventure with them, and they learn the same lessons the characters learn.
- Reading is Fun: By getting your children into reading at an early age, they’re more likely to embrace and enjoy reading as they get older.
We make it a point to read to our son every single night. First, we read from my son’s Bible, then we move on to some of this other favorites which include Dr. Seuss’s ABC’s and Goodnight, Goodnight Construction Site by Sherri Duskey Rinker. One of his new favorites is by new author, Linda Dembo. In fact, my little nephew also seems to enjoy this book.
Linda writes a fun book about her pet pooch, Mardi. Meet Mardi details her adoption journey that Mardi went through starting in Louisiana to find her forever home in California with Linda.
How adorable is Mardi (photo borrowed from meetmardi.com?
What’s great about this book is that it teaches a lesson throughout the book and then discusses that lesson following the book’s completion. The illustrations are fun and the story-line keeps us wanting more!
If you’re anything like me, you’re always looking for new books to keep your little one(s) entertained. Grab a copy of Meet Mardi today!
Remember to make time every day to read to your child. It creates a sense of adventure in their lives and it’s helping to set them up for success when they enter school.